It has been a while since this blog relayed an increasingly dire FAO warning. Professor Joe also has expressed concern about food security, and after he had lunch with Lester Brown, decided to create a new category! We bloggers, all action, eh?
The category? Food insecurity. Lester convinced Joseph that “genuinely destabilizing food insecurity may occur as soon as this decade. Romm acknowledged the increasingly dire warning from the Food and Agriculture Organization; 1 billion undernourished people already is a crisis.
Related Climate Progress posts on the topic of Food Insecurity:
- Scientific American asks “Could Food Shortages Bring Down Civilization?”
- The Coming Food Crisis: Global food security is stretched to the breaking point, and Russia’s fires and Pakistan’s floods are making a bad situation worse; Podesta, Caldwell: “Lasting gains in agricultural productivity will require … action to confront climate change.”
Related AG posts on the topic of Food Insecurity
- ‘Food Insecurity’ Reaches Record High In California (huffingtonpost.com)
- Extreme weather events help drive food prices to record highs (energybulletin.net)
- Extreme weather events help drive food prices to record highs (climateprogress.org)
- When Will the Food Bubble Burst? (treehugger.com)
- Will Climate Change Cause Crop Shortfalls by 2020? (scientificamerican.com)