Speaking of fair and balanced reporting from mainstream media, Joe J’accuse Romm says, ”The cold may make the news, but it ain’t the story.” The story is: the lowest December Arctic sea ice extent in satellite record.
Yes, given half a chance, Rommbo’s on again about the Arctic death spiral. Which, as far as one can tell, to the corporatists in Congress (not yet Congress in toto because of a very few, token populists), this means easier drilling. There is lockstep denial that Arctic sea ice is one of three key indicators in decline.
“Vostok ice core records for carbon dioxide concentration and temperature change.”
While sea level rise probably is the best measure of heat absorbed by the Earth, that is, until there is no ice to melt, it is very much an after the fact indicator. Unfortunately, we have ignored more advanced notice; and, now, the decline of Arctic sea ice no longer is an early warning. It shows a warming world. Mean global temperature is catching up with higher concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere.
The opposite of Pollutocratic denial is acknowledging the relationship between CO2 levels and global temperature and demonstrating commitment to a reduction in human-caused carbon emissions. If still capable of protecting life on the Planet as we know it, then we must exercise our intelligence and compassion and lessen catastrophic global heating.
- NASA explains how Europe can be so cold amidst the hottest November and hottest year on record (climateprogress.org)
- The science behind increasing Antarctic sea ice (climateprogress.org)
- Polar bear, Arctic sea ice all-but doomed: Misleading Nature cover story misleads the media, public (climateprogress.org)
- The war on Santa Claus (and Superman) (climateprogress.org)
- NOAA reports 2010 hottest year on record so far, while Arctic sea ice extent hits a stunning December low – Head of NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center: Climate change to intensify winter weather (climateprogress.org)